I’ve been injured at work. Now what do I do?

PPE - July 19, 2013 - 0 comments

If you have been injured at work as a result of an accident your first thoughts will naturally be about treatment and recovery. However, if an employer has failed to take steps to safeguard you at work, and you are injured, you may be entitled to make a claim.

You should report all accidents and injuries sustained at work no matter how minor they may seem to be. You should report any accident at work to your supervisor or manager. Most employers will have an accident record book into which an accident report can be made. If the employer does not have an accident book you should still ensure that you tell your employer or manager about the accident and ask that the details are recorded. The accident book record will be useful in supporting any accident at work claim brought later on. It is also helpful if you keep details of any witnesses to the accident.

An employer has a duty to provide a safe place of work, adequate training and instruction, adequate protective clothing and equipment, a duty to assess the risks of lifting heavy weights or equipment and to maintain equipment and machinery in a safe condition. If the employer fails to comply with these duties, and a worker has an accident at work, then a work injury claim could be made.

The right to make an accident at work claim covers all employees including temporary, casual and permanent employees. You can make a claim if you work full time or part time and you can claim even if you do not have a written contract of employment. If you are self-employed and injured as a result of another person’s actions you may also be able to bring a claim.

The big questions

Like others thinking about claiming for compensation, you will be asking yourself some big questions. This is why it is important to seek professional advice from the experts. A registered firm of solicitors will be able to help you with questions such as:

  • Will I lose my job if I make an accident at work claim?
  • Who pays the compensation awarded for an accident at work claim?
  • Can I make an accident at work claim even if I did not take any time off work or I did not lose earnings?
  • Who will pay for my medical treatment?
  • How do I actually claim compensation for personal injury after an accident at work?

How to make an accident at work claim

Accidents at work claims are not always straightforward and it is therefore important that you obtain advice from an expert personal injury solicitor. It is usually best to obtain independent legal advice as soon as possible after an accident at work so that your personal injury solicitor can ensure that the claim is properly investigated and all relevant evidence to support your claim can be obtained.

Donna Beckett, a specialist personal injury solicitor from Beckett & Co Solicitors, told PPE.ORG:

“Injured workers often delay in bringing a claim for compensation because they are worried about making a claim against their employer. However, all employers are required by law to have Employers Liability Insurance and employers are not allowed to discriminate against an employee who makes a claim for compensation.

Talking things through with a specialist personal injury solicitor will allay any concerns that an injured worker may have about making a claim. My advice would be to speak to a solicitor at the earliest opportunity. However, most personal injury claims are subject to a 3 year time limit which means that even if there has been delay since the accident it could still be possible to bring a claim.

Therefore, anybody who has had an accident at work within the past 3 years should contact a solicitor for advice.”

Beckett & Co Solicitors are specialist personal injury solicitors with years of experience handling accident at work claims. They can help you to make an accident at work claim and ensure that you receive maximum compensation.

Visit Beckett & Co.’s page on claiming compensation after an accident at work or contact the firm on 0800 731 5434 for free, no obligation advice about making a claim for compensation.

Published by PPE using information provided by Beckett & Co Solicitors.